Research has shown that if you’re overweight when you’re young, you’ll probably be heavier as an adult – and more discouraged than ever by yo-yo weight cycling.
Break that cycle early with effective life skills, daily habits and other tools that work now, in college, and beyond. Do this and stay in control of your weight, your health and your happiness.
Empowered Wellness is an especially good choice for teenage boys, girls and young adults who have:
- Felt that their weight gets in the way of being the person they truly are or affects how others perceive them
- Been frustrated or disappointed by efforts to lose weight or change their shape through exercise, diet or other strategies
- Felt less connected to friends, family or school
- Felt bullied, judged, singled-out or criticized about their food decisions, activity level or weight
- Developed health risk indicators related to diabetes, high blood pressure, or other medical conditions related to inactivity or weight
These complex feelings often produce what Empowered Wellness founder Eliza Kingsford terms “the spiral.”
In a nutshell, it’s the way negative thoughts turn into self-defeating actions, which in turn create more negative thoughts, which create more self-defeating actions, and so on.
It’s a familiar pattern to people at every age who have tried to lose weight. For example: our self-image suffers because we’re worried about our weight, so we may withdraw more – watch more TV, spend more time on our phones, and avoid social situations.
We may be less likely to raise our hand in class — just as overweight adults may be less likely to speak up in a business meeting. As we withdraw, and continue to gain weight, our confidence and self-esteem suffers even more. We turn to food for comfort, continuing the spiral.
It feels less risky to withdraw, and more risky to keep putting yourself out there.
What stops the spiral?
The knowledge, confidence and life skills to make smart decisions that keep you happy and healthy — not just during camp, but long after camp is over.